Pages

Friday, March 2, 2012

Episode IV: A New Hope


When I entered Patrick’s room this morning I was surprised to find that his tank's water had significantly cleared up overnight. I thought it might have something to do with the introduction of bacteria, but I couldn’t be sure. I also wasn’t sure if that was necessarily a good thing, because at this point I assume nothing.

Water sample and the recently deceased T1000
I quickly inhaled about three cups of coffee before Patrick and I headed for PetSmart for a water test. Thankfully the same woman was tending to the fish, so I would not have to reiterate my current debacle. However I don’t think she was as happy to see me. But then in the spirit of objectivity she was quite pleasant. We presented her with our dead Tetra, T1000 and a water sample. The ammonia level, which was the prime suspect of our underwater holocaust, was undetectable. I also mentioned that after the addition of “good” bacteria the water’s murkiness seemed to have cleared up. She said that was a strong indicator of the tank cycle functioning properly - music to my ears.
Green Glow Tetra
Dalmatian Molly

Based on the current conditions she recommended adding one fish to our environment. But I decided to up the stakes a little; I was going to add two fish. High risk, high reward right? She also suggested a gravel vacuum that would remove the decaying fish food and waste from the floor of the tank. Apparently if too much of it builds up it will produce ammonia as well. So after careful consideration Patrick and I settled on the first two members of our fourth generation of fish. One is a Green Glow Tetra and the other, a Dalmatian Molly.
When we introduced them to the tank they seemed happy and full of energy, but don’t they always. I am now not so easily deceived. After about an hour I returned to Patrick’s room to check on them and my heart sank when I noticed the tetra resting lifelessly on the bottom of the tank. In my mind’s eye I saw myself dumping our tanks water all over the woman at PetSmart to see if she would survive, but I digress. My wife Liz poked it with our fish net and it sprang back to life as if it had been jolted by electrodes that had extracted it from some near-death experience. Don’t walk toward the light little tetra. This is not a good sign.
Patrick tests their heart's condition by knocking on the glass

They have been in the tank for about 3 hours now and seem to be doing fine. The previous aquatic settlers had not survived the night. On both occasions the fish were alive at sunset and dead by sunrise. If by tomorrow’s first light our fishy friends are still thriving, then I believe we will have overcome a major obstacle. It will mean that we have established a successful, functioning tank cycle that sustains itself and ultimately the fish and more importantly we will have turned three failures into success.

Our next goal will be to introduce five more fish, two at a time totaling to 6, with one being a pleco (bottom feeder). After that we will need to see if they can survive there first water change. But for now as the sun sets, I wish them Godspeed, or as the Irish say…

“May your pockets be heavy and your heart be light. May good luck pursue you each morning and night.”

Stephen DiJulius
Current Fish Count: 2

1 comment:

  1. Steve this is so cute but the suspense is killing me! I must know if yours and Patrick's fish make it through the night! Im looking forward to your next entry!

    ReplyDelete